Living situation, life updates, and the Frühlingsfest in Stuttgart


So much has happened since I arrived. I am slowly but surely getting settled into my new Wohnheimen (dormitory). However, unlike the US, I have my own bathroom! (I was super excited to find out that I wasn't going to share a bathroom with other people). The Wohnheimens in Tübingen and HWS are different in more ways than one. To begin with, around 15-20 people live in a flat and we all share one kitchen. Each person has one cabinet (shown in the picture below, and we also have one fridge compartment (also shown below). The kitchen is somewhat spacious, but 

I have to say, it gets a little crowded when more than two people are cooking (which rarely happens). 


So far, I have really been enjoying living with my flatmates. The living culture here is very different from HWS! Even though I live in a W.g., which is basically like a dorm, it sort of feels more like a home. There are nights when everyone is in the kitchen making food, music playing, and everyone sharing what they did during the day, and it's a really great vibe!


So far, I've really been enjoying my classes. I am taking five courses: Two biology courses on Neuroscience and Sleep (function and physiology), a Biochemistry elective, a German language course, and an art course I will later talk about. I have to say however, the lectures have been very challenging. Since there are relatively few English-taught courses in Biology and Chemistry at a bachelor's level, I had to resort to taking master-level courses. Long story short, I sit in classes with expert master students and it's definitely very challenging, not to mention nerve-wracking, Nonetheless, the lectures are super interesting!




 Day Trip to the Frühlingsfest in Stuttgart 



Last weekend, I got to experience the Stuttgart Frühlingsfest with Lea, a former HWS exchnage student from Germnay! The festival was truly amazing! From the moment I arrived, the atmosphere was infectious, with music, laughter, and a lot of beer–a .german. kept tradition

 

One of the highlights was witnessing the breathtaking parade, or Umzug, where intricately decorated floats, traditional costumes, and lively music came together. Lea let me borrow one of her dirndl, which is a dress traditionally worn by women in southern Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, and Alpine regions of Italy. The dirndl is a folk costume (in German – Tracht) and an interesting thing about the way it is worn is position of the Dirndl bow. Here's a quick break down:

    

    Bow on the right: The woman is married or spoken for.

    Bow on the left: The woman is single.

    Bow in the back: The woman is widowed, waitressing or is a child.


Interesting, right? Here's a picture of me wearing the dirndl: (please ignore the poor shoe choice)



Throughout the day, Lea and indulged in the mouthwatering treats and beverages available at the festival (below is a picture of some of the food we tried out–super delicious!

 





The festival served as a reminder of the warm and inviting nature of the German people. Everywhere I turned, I encountered friendly faces, willing to share their traditions and engage in conversations despite the language barrier. It was a truly immersive experience that allowed me to appreciate the unique charm of German culture.

 


Bis bald!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final blog post: A Farewell

Trip to Bremen and some updates!

Tübingen Stadtfest