Final blog post: A Farewell

As my stay here in Germany comes to an end, I want to dedicate this blog to an overall reflection of my experience in Germany.

My study abroad experience definitely did not go as expected. I met some truly incredible people and I will forever cherish the moments I shared with everyone I got to meet. Even though I spent most of my days in the library, I still got to experience some awesome places in Germany that have left a lasting impression on me. From the museums in Munich to the festivals in Stuttgart and Tübingen, and most importantly, the awesome cow I met hiking in Austria, all these experiences will be carried with me for years to come. 


The courses I took were very challenging, and to be honest, I wasn’t expecting to pass any of them. But I did. The neuroscience courses further fueled my interest in the subject and solidified my decision to pursue a neuroscience degree after completing my bachelor's. Not only did I gain more knowledge on the courses themselves but I also learned more about myself and my learning styles. At HWS, professors usually guide us and help us throughout the semester. In Germany, however, students are usually on their own. We're not really encouraged to seek professors' help after class and so we're kind of left to fend for ourselves. It was very uncomfortable. I didn't like it, in fact, I hated it. I hated not being comfortable enough to go the the professor's office and ask for help. But it pushed me to ask more questions in class, for example. During the first few weeks, I was petrified of speaking in class. I thought everyone would judge me since everyone was at a graduate level and I was still learning the introductory level neuroanatomy. But over time, I decided it wasn't worth it to stay quiet as I wasn't really getting as much out of the lecture. So eventually, I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone, and slowly but surely, started to get more comfortable in class. All in all, the moral of the story here is I learned how to let go of self-doubt. I realized that holding back was just holding me back. In other words, I discovered that embracing discomfort and pushing myself beyond my comfort zone was the key to personal and academic growth. 


Before arriving in Germany, I tried to minimize researching the area. I wanted the element of surprise, and that I definitely got. I was taken aback by all the amazing places Tübingen has to offer. Every little corner was picturesque and breathtakingly beautiful. Tübingen should be on everyone's bucket list and it's definitely a site to see!


Here is a dreamy picture for the road:




I know I will be coming back one day, whether it is to visit or to live here for a while, who knows. 


And with that, I say, farewell Tübingen, till we meet again. 


Tschüss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Bremen and some updates!

Tübingen Stadtfest