The challenges of living abroad and glimpses of Munich!

 


It's been roughly three weeks since I arrived in Tübingen, Germany, and I must admit, it has been a roller coaster ride so far. Moving to a new country comes with its fair share of challenges. Balancing the demands of studying in Germany, making new friends, and exploring as much as possible has been somewhat of a challenge. Adapting to the new culture and finding my place in the German way of life has been an intriguing journey for me, especially considering the stark differences between my home country and both the US and Germany. But amidst these challenges, I've come to realize that this experience has not only allowed me to explore more of Germany but has also helped me grow and become more comfortable with being uncomfortable. 
 
 
So far not only have I gotten to visit more of Germany, but I also am getting more comfortable with myself. Going abroad alone is hard. Every day I challenge my comfort zone and further push myself to seek experiences that constantly make me “uncomfortable”. In fact, before I arrived in Germany, I made a promise to myself that I will actively seek out experiences that push me beyond what is familiar and comfortable. In other words, learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable–as paradoxical as it sounds.  However, I'm not referring to negative discomfort that leaves one feeling miserable and wishing to retreat. Instead, I'm talking about the kind of discomfort that propels self-discovery and enables us to uncover hidden depths within ourselves.     
 
For me, sometimes, seeking discomfort looks like pushing myself to speak German to locals (i.e. asking for directions: Wie komme ich zum Hauptbanhof? Wo ist die Universität Bibliothek? Ist es weit?). Other times, it's raising my hand to speak in a seminar full of masters students.
 
The discomfort I encounter here in Germany is not a deterrent; rather, it's an invitation to expand my horizons. It's an opportunity to develop resilience, adaptability, and a broader perspective. Each interaction, whether it's navigating through the language barrier or immersing myself in the local customs, offers a chance to learn, grow, and truly understand the beauty of cross-cultural experiences.
 
While my time in Tübingen has been eventful, I've also had the chance to venture out and explore nearby cities, including Munich. From strolling through the picturesque Englischer Garten to savoring the rich flavors of traditional Bavarian cuisine, Munich has left an indelible mark on me. Its blend of historical charm, vibrant culture, and awe-inspiring architecture is truly remarkable and it has ignited a thirst for further exploration!


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final blog post: A Farewell

Trip to Bremen and some updates!

Tübingen Stadtfest